Simalgyax

David D. Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Fri May 9 03:37:54 UTC 2003

LhaXayam, Colin,

Thanks for posting this nice list of words.

A few comments:

Like a number of linguists, I see <buu> "blow" as quite likely part of the
Pacific NW languages' tendency to have similar forms for some words, across
unrelated language groups.

<siipkw> & <k'ohl> look only coincidentally like their Jargon counterparts,
which come from English.  In other words, it seems unlikely to me that
anyone would have taken the English originals & added such non-English
sounds as /kw/ (rounded "K") and /hl/ (voiceless "L"), or added a P in the
middle of "sick".

Similarly, <waas> might be a more convincing match for the Jargon
term "wash", from English.  However, that would entail a huge meaning
shift, for which I see little motivation.

I know very little about Tsimshian/Sm'algyax but some of these forms could
be just coincidentally similar to Jargon forms.  Now, <mismuus> for "cow"
is just about certain to be a loan from Jargon, an extremely common event
in Native languages because cows were not aboriginally present.  But the
prefixes <n-> and <m-> may look like Jargon items only by accident --
though I bet you can find scholars who believe Tsimshianic languages are
members of one "Penutian" family along with (Old) Chinookan, which donated
<nayka>, <mayka> etc. to the Jargon.