Chat client survey

Jeffrey Kopp jeffreykopp at ATT.NET
Wed Nov 12 07:39:23 UTC 2003

Hi. Jim and I are trying to test AIM voice chat to see if it's feasible for
Jargon speaking practice. His test machine is a 200mHz system so it's
realistic to see if a modest machine could handle it.

I've had success with MSN Messenger voice and video (DSL on my end, cable
on the other). But we're having trouble getting AIM to work through a
hardware firewall (we think).

So before we slog much further down the testing road, let's do a survey and
see who's already got which. I'm not sure whether AIM is still more
prevalent or MSNM has become more popular.

Would any who would be interested in using voice chat please email me with
which chat client they have installed (and what ver. if possible; pull down
"Help" and then "About"), and whether you're stuck with Windows or a Mac?
Also please indicate whether you have broadband (DSL or cable), or dial-up
(and, if so, the speed you usually manage to connect at).

If you have Netscape installed (or use AOL, I presume), you already have
AIM. Both are free for download <http://messenger.msn.com/>,
<http://www.aim.com/>. It appears the Mac version of MSNM doesn't do voice,
which suggests we probably ought to try our best to get AIM to work.

P.S. Just a survey at this point, please no tech support questions (yet).

Thanks.

Jeff