Velar "k" vs. English "k"?

Tom Larsen larsent at PDX.EDU
Thu Sep 11 00:42:31 UTC 2003

Well, I'm not sure, because I don't really know all that much about
Arabic, especially not Arabic dialects.  But the q in Chinook shouldn't
be a pharyngeal.  The pharyngeals in Arabic, pronounced I believe as you
describe, with the tongue low and the throat tightened, are supposed to
be the "ayn" and also that other letter the name of which escapes me but
which is usually transliterated as an "h" with a dot under it.(Maybe
it's called "h[with-dot-under-it]aa"?). Chinook also has the sound that
Boas wrote as q! but which is more commonly written now as q' which is
called a "glottalized q" or an "ejective q". (Boas called it a "fortis"
q, but now days "fortis" means something else.  Sigh.) This could be
described as "explosive", but it's still also uvular, not pharyngeal.  I
don't think Chinook has pharyngeals.  And if Cairene Arabic pronounces
"qaaf" as a pharyngeal rather than as a uvular, then I'm not sure what
other sound I could compare it to in any language that you're likely to
know (though admittedly I don't know what all languages you know other
than Arabic). To pronounce a q, try starting with a k, and then lower
your tongue a bit and move it back further (but not so far low and back
that you're going to get a pharyngeal, and don't tighten your throat).

Tom