KIWA

hzenk at PDX.EDU hzenk at PDX.EDU
Fri Aug 6 20:46:15 UTC 2004

Thanks to all for your helpful comments on the name "Toketee".  I was indeed
aware of -t'ukti as Chinookan, but it is also in Gibbs's dictionary as Chinuk
Wawa ("toke-tie").  Gibbs notes it as unusual CW, but that wouldn't have
stopped the compilers of copy-cat "Chinook" dictionaries from picking it up,
nor would it have stopped some map-maker or the like picking up one of those
dictionaries and finding what he thought was a "nice" name for a pretty
waterfall.  I kind of suspect that's what happened, but it is just possible
that the name was originally from Molala and later "corrected" by someone on
the basis of the dictionaries.  Douglas Jones, the Molala-speaking father of
Esther LaBonte, one of the Grand Ronde elders I worked with, was well known
around that area (Esther herself lived at Glide, an old Molala village site
downstream from those falls, for years), so there are definite Molala
associations. I've looked for specific historical info on when/how the name was
bestowed, but so far without success (wish I had asked Esther, but never
thought of it then).  "Tuckta" actually looks like a better candidate for being
from the Molala, although I've been told that that is a family name from Warm
Springs.

It would be cool to find at least one verifiable contemporary geographical name
of Molala origin.   Except for the name Tufti (Tufti Butte, I think), an
individual's name, there are none that I know of.  The name "Molala" itself is
obscure and apparently not of Molala origin.  Henry