Toketie

Leanne Riding riding at TIMETEMPLE.COM
Tue Aug 10 08:51:53 UTC 2004

I'd hazard that this particular gov't publication might hold a clue:
"Dictionary of the Chinook Jargon. Indian Trade Language of the North
Pacific Coast." _Guide to the province of British Columbia for 1877-8 :
compiled from the latest and most authentic sources of information._
Victoria, British Columbia: T.N. Hibben, 1877.

T. N. Hibben had been publishing popular C. J. Dictionaries in Victoria
since the 1860s and here he is in this gov't publication. I think the
engineers may well have used one of T. N. Hibben's dictionaries, which
does contain the word "Toketie. Pretty."

I was looking around and found a neat website: "Vanishing B.C. Toketic,
Pokhaist and Basque on the Thompson River."
[http://www.michaelkluckner.com/bciw6pokhaist.html#toketic]. I think
this has many more clues (and great images!). Toketic is on "a butte
above the Thompson River east of Spences Bridge," where a farmhouse
stood owned by the Anderson family. There seems to have been a parish
there named Toketi, but the map reads Toketic.

Just a guess: the parish came first, the typo came second?

One day, I will understand..............

I just remembered seeing that church when I was a kid. Toketic was
indeed, Pretty.

-- Leanne (http://timetemple.com)