Hyas and Kamsack

Leanne Riding riding at TIMETEMPLE.COM
Fri Aug 13 10:48:28 UTC 2004

I was looking at a map of the Assiniboine River in Saskatchewan and I
noticed two localities had "chinook-jargon-like" names. One was "Hyas"
and the other, "Kamsack" (which makes me think of the word which I have
seen spelled Kamosuck). Coincidence? Probably. Acc'ding to one website,
the town called Kamsack was named for its early post office. And
acc'ding to another, Hyas was to be named Hays, but since there was
already a Post office by that name, the "A" and "Y" were switched around.

Interesting, though.

-- Leanne (http://timetemple.com)