The word Lulu

Keith Thor Carlson keith.carlson at USASK.CA
Tue Aug 31 16:23:31 UTC 2004

Not to split hairs, but the communities we now call Sto:lo do extend
downstream of the Langley-Abbotsford boundary.  The Kwantlen continue
to consider themselves Sto:lo and are members of the Sto:lo Nation
tribal council and their claimed traditional territory includes their
former village sites and associated lands at New Westminster adjacent
to Lulu island, as well as their current village sites on McMillan
Island (Ft. Lagley) and Whonock etc.

I don't believe there is a recorded Halkomelem name for the entire
island as a whole, but there are several Halkomelem names for sites on
the island.  THese are recorded in the published Musqueam territory
map, as well as in the Sto:lo Atlas.

Lulu Sweet, of course, never even set foot on the island now named for
her.  She performed at New Westminster just upriver.  I wonder if she
ever even knew that the island was named in her honour?

According to Jimmie Charlie of Chehalis, whose Dad "Squamish Charlie"
had been recognized as the chief of the South Westminster reserve under
what is now the Putello Bridge, in later years, when Harri Houdini and
Mutt and Jeff performed at New Westminster, there was discussion about
naming prominent geographic features after them as well.  Jimmie, who
died a decade ago at age 92, also told me he remembered his father
shooting moose in New Westminster, and he recalled an encounter with a
Sasquatch at a creek mouth between what is now the Putello and Port Man
Bridges.  I've often wondered if there is a Chinook word for the
halkomelem term Sasquatch?  Anybody know?

Keith