[fwd from R. Clark] Ahousat CJ in the 1940's

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Thu Jan 22 16:36:23 UTC 2004

[I repeat, this message is forwarded from Ross Clark in New Zealand, to
whom we owe our thanks for sharing.  In a later message to me, Ross
mentioned that 'Raincoast Chronicles' may still be publishing, or was
until recently.  --  Dave R.]

Dave,

You seem to be the one who collects bits of evidence about the knowledge
of CJ at different times and places, so I thought I'd mention something I
just read. Not that it's in a particularly unlikely source -- I've picked
up a few issues of _Raincoast Chronicles_, a magazine (1970s?) which was
full of local history and reminiscence about the BC coast. In issue 7
there's a piece by Capt. Donald Peck about his experiences in the
Fishermen's Reserve Service, a coastal patrol scheme organized during
WWII.

"...I was directed to Ahousat [south of Nootka] to investigate a submarine
sighting. It had apparently been spotted by an old Indian out fishing in
his dugout in the early morning....The Indian's name was simply Old
Samuel. The chief was acting as interpreter and I became suspicious that
we were getting his version of the story rather than the witness's. The
inquiry was being conducted in English and Old Samuel couldn't understand
a word of it. I had no knowledge of that particular dialect but I was
quite familiar with Chinook Jargon. I addressedthe witness directly in
this tongue. It was a lucky guess. He turned to me as though he had found
an old friend and gave me his own story. It convinced me that what Old Sam
had seen with his failing eyes was simply a basking shark on the surface
with its huge dorsal fin extended. Foggy weather and poor visibility had
further confused him. I was satisfied that we had the truth of the matter
and imparted my information to the others. The writer made out the report,
wesigned it and the affair was settled."

For what it's worth.

Ross Clark