Father FM Thomas, OMI

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Mon Jul 19 01:05:22 UTC 2004

Does anybody here have information on this missionary's personality?

Some items in archives suggest that Father Le Jeune of Kamloops Wawa fame
may have had difficulty 'clicking' with Thomas.

And Thomas' diaries are bizarre, a nearly illegible mixture of French,
English and shorthand Chinook Jargon (often within one sentence!) that is
a real headache to try reading.

I doubt he was as much an oddball as Father AG Morice, whom I mentioned a
few days ago, and who Le Jeune had difficulty getting along with.  Since
Thomas corresponded with Le Jeune, was a fan of his Chinook shorthand, and
used it till his death around 1950, I wonder what this man was like.

--Dave R.