Kalapuyan...was...Re: Chintimini

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Fri Mar 12 04:19:01 UTC 2004

Henry K., masi,

One thing I was looking for when I came across the Chintimini article was
any new work that linguists may have done on Kalapuyan.  There are some
among us who have a bit of knowledge of Kalapuyan, but I'd hoped I might
find someone who's been working on these extinct (I could hope to be wrong
about that) languages.  It wouldn't be surprising, considering one person
has worked on Alsea and another on Molala in recent years, and another on
Siuslaw.  But nothing has turned up either via Google or in a search of
the linguistic literature.  Maybe someone will take on the mission of
becoming a Kalapuyan speaker.  Or Tillamook.  Or...

Anything could happen.  I recently met someone who is intent on
revitalizing Beothuk.  And folks in California have been working on
speaking Esselen, Tongva, and others.

Best wishes to all,

--Dave R.