Clatsop-Nehalem tribe

Tony Johnson Tony.Johnson at GRANDRONDE.ORG
Fri Mar 12 16:26:44 UTC 2004

LaXayEm khanawi-Laksta,

This is a frustrating email to write.  I know the folks involved in the
group below.  They are referred to in my community as the "bicentennial
tribe" (referring to the Lewis and  Clark bicentennial).  This new
effort is being spearheaded by a person who is a member of my Tribe, and
was a member of my council for approximately 20 years.  These few folks
have seen a financial advantage to create their own tribe and are
causing us a great amount of grief in my community.  They have received
grant moneys, etc. that should have gone to us.  We have met no more
than ten people involved with this group, most of them are enrolled with
my Tribe, and I would suggest that all of them are eligible for
enrollment.  Again this is very frustrating because they are
appropriating our heritage.  For those that don't know my Tribe,
reflected in our constitution, is made up of the five westernmost
bands/tribes of Chinook Indians including the Lower Chinook, Clatsop,
Willapa, Wakhiakum and Kathlamet.  Most of us, myself included, are a
mix of these groups and other surrounding tribes.  I am a Clatsop
Indian.  Having these folks try to (pretty successfully at this point)
appropriate a part of our heritage is both unacceptable and extremely
frustrating.  Anyway, perhaps I have said enough, but I encourage you to
consider the ramifications to a long standing Native community before
you contact or support this group.

LaXayEm--Hayu Masi,

Tony A. Johnson

>>> David Robertson <ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU> 03/11/2004 9:57:05 AM >>>
In case you hadn't heard of this Oregon tribe...

http://www.clatsop-nehalem.com/index.php

Tillamook is a heritage language for them.  Maybe Chinook Jargon is,
also?

--Dave R.