KW #1 solves another question

Leanne Riding riding at TIMETEMPLE.COM
Sat Mar 20 02:13:59 UTC 2004

I've thought that too. In John Dunn's vocabulary on pg 352 at
Canadiana.org, you can see that he does something like this. I haven't
studied John Dunn, but apparantly he arrived in Astoria 1831 from
England, on the Ganymede, and had a stint as Commander. His 1844 book
was published in London.

If you look at the word "Claterwar", his scheme might be:

a as in "cat"
er as in "foot"
ar as in "dog"

or maybe ??

a as in "cat"
er as in "bug"
ar as in "law"

What scheme is that? It must be something common in Britian.

An English nurse and gold rush adventurer by the name of Stannard, who
dropped by in the 1870s, also had a jargon dictionary which used this
scheme, with words such as "charko, clat-awar, marwitch, clar-hoe-yar,
etc."

I don't think LeJeune would have used a scheme like that, though. This
doesn't seem like it would be useful to the American authors either.

Dunn: http://canadiana.org/ECO/PageView/34632/0370
Stannard: http://canadiana.org/ECO/PageView/16202/0180

My web page has links to some others where you can scrounge around for
more clues :)
http://timetemple.com/chinook_jargon/books_online.php