Winthrop & Kalapuya

Alan Hartley ahartley at D.UMN.EDU
Sat Mar 27 18:26:55 UTC 2004

David Robertson wrote:

> "...they would scoff, and call him Kallapooya, meanest of Indians..."
>
> (p. 49 of Theodore Winthrop, n.d. Canoe and Saddle (Nisqually Edition).
> Portland, OR:  Binfords & Mort.)

This quot. is on p. 79 in the copy on the Library of Congress Web site
(http://memory.loc.gov): Boston: Ticknor and Fields, 1866, c1862.
on the Isthmus of Panama in the preceding year.)

And on p. 210 there's: "My philippic ran thus: -"Kamooks, mika
klimminwhet; dog, you have lied. Cultus siwash, wake Owhhigh tenas;
paltry savage, no son of Owhhigh! Kallapooya; a Kallapooya Indian, a
groveller. Skudzilai-moot; a nasty varmint. Tenas mika tum tum; cowardly
is thy heart. Quash klatawah copa Dalles; afraid to go to Dalles. Nika
mamook paper copa squally tyee pe spose mika chaco yaquah yaka skookoom,
mamook stick; I shall write a paper to the master of Nisqually (if I
ever get out of this), and suppose you go there, he will lustily apply
the rod."

Loolowcan winced at portions of this discourse. He seemed ready to
pounce upon me with the knife he grasped.

And now as to pay, "Hyas pultin mika; a great fool art thou, to suppose
that I can be bullied into paying thee for bringing me out of my way to
desert me. No go, no pay."

"Wake nika memloose; I no die for the lack of it," said Loolowcan, with
an air of unapproachable insolence."

Alan