Indian potatoes.

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Mon Mar 29 00:01:52 UTC 2004

I don't have Nancy Turner's 'Thompson Ethnobotany' here, but there might
even be more plants called potatoes.

In Coeur d'Alene country (the Idaho-Washington border), sagittaria
latifolia (?right?) is called 'water potato' by English-speaking Indians.

Not to confuse things but to further enliven the conversation:  Wayne
Suttles has written about potatoes among coastal Indians.  This was in
his 'Coast Salish Essays', if memory serves.  Various Native communities
along the coast have their own characteristic breeds of potatoes,
indicating a long history of cultivation.

A Thompson Salish word for 'potato(es)' is something like /takwol's/.
Dunno if this word can be analyzed.  I have the impression it's suspected
to be a loanword.

--Dave R.