Chukanut Mtn derivation?

kelvin oakstone kelvin_oakstone at YAHOO.COM
Fri May 7 16:07:26 UTC 2004

Klahowya tillikums,

As part of my search for historical and modern use of CJ in and around Bellingham, I've been cataloging place names with obvious CJ roots. Yesterday, staring out my office window it hits me that the hill I'm admiring is called Chuckanut Mtn.. Should perhaps have been first on my list, hmmm.

Here's the question. The 'chuck' I get...any ideas on the remainder of the name? I'm at a loss and historical research hasn't helped. Don't be shy to speak up if it's completely obvious. I've only been working on CJ for a couple of months. Not to mention some obvious things have been known to pass me by!

Hope to see some of you at the Lu7lu!

Kelvin Saxton
Graduate Student
Western Washington University