Indian sounds in Kamloops Wawa writing (fwd from A. Grant)

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Sat Sep 11 18:01:45 UTC 2004

[forwarded from Anthony Grant by Dave R:]

Dave, Mike et al:

The original edition of Blanchet and St Onge used a similar kind of
symbol of the glottalised and uvularised velars.  (Thanks to Sally
Thomason for forwarding me a copy of that booklet many moons ago.)  I
assume LeJeune was hooked into that orthographical tradition in some
way?

Anthony

>>> David Robertson <ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU> 11/09/2004 05:22:47 >>>
I just had a glance at a page that Mike Cleven's updated on his
Chinook
website.  (Google Alert is a wonderful service).

Comparing the shorthand spellings of a number of words, probably from
Le
Jeune's 1924 vocabulary, I see a number that are written with a
special
letter Le Jeune invented to spell Indian sounds.  Either k' or q', or
their "rounded" versions k'w or q'w, can be spelled with this letter.
(It's his shorthand "k" letter with a little tick on the side.)

Sure enough, all of these shorthand forms correspond to known Indian
pronunciations from Oregon & elsewhere.  Here's a list.

LJ: kolan  Oregon: q'wElan
LJ: kwaten Oregon: k'watin
LJ: kho    Oregon: q'u'
LJ: khow   Oregon: k'aw
LJ: khell  Oregon: q'El

So Le Jeune was noticing these "ejective" sounds in the Chinook spoken
by
people in BC.  This is among the earliest evidence we have of a
clearly
Indian sound-system in CJ from that region.

Le Jeune invented this letter, I believe, a while after creating his
shorthand alphabet for Chinook in 1890.  He seems to have used this
letter
quite a lot in writing 7 Salish languages (starting around 1893),
which
also have this type of sound frequently.  Judging from reading
Kamloops
Wawa, he pretty gradually introduced this letter into his Chinook
writing.

A similar story happened with his letter for "lh" (some of you call
this "barred-L")...the voiceless "L" sound of Indian languages.  Le
Jeune
started out by spelling this sound as "tl" or "kl" in many Chinook
words,
but eventually started writing it with a new letter, his shorthand "L"
with
a little tick next to it.  He kept "tl" for the "barred-glottalized-
lambda", which I'm not going to explain any further just now; the same
distinction is found in his Thompson Salish writing, for example.

Enough linguistics for a Friday night.  Lhush chandi-ubut, good
weekend,

Klahawiam naika,

--Dave R

To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'.  To respond
privately to the sender of a message, click 'REPLY'.  Hayu masi!
This email and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the
use of the individual to whom it is addressed.  Any views or opinions
presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent
those of Edge Hill or associated companies.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender as soon as possible and delete it and
all copies of it.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose,
intended recipient.

The message content of in-coming emails is automatically scanned to
identify Spam and viruses otherwise Edge Hill do not actively monitor
content.  However, sometimes it will be necessary for Edge Hill to access
business communications during staff absence.

Edge Hill has taken steps to ensure that this email and any attachments are
virus free.  However, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure
that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by Edge Hill for
any loss or damage arising in any way from its use.
<<<<EdgeHill>>>>