siwash cosho for "seal"

Leanne Riding riding at TIMETEMPLE.COM
Wed Sep 15 20:58:40 UTC 2004

I was wondering, is k'ash-ch'u a makah word, also what does it mean?

Here's some miscellaneous unimportant info about seals and pigs
that you might find interesting:

1) A while back we talked about an instance where an old CJ
dictionaries defined "ole hiyu" as a sea wolf, or seal. A day or
two ago while reading the french version of Gabriele Franchere's
journal, I noticed that he called the seal a "loup-marin" (sea
wolf).

2) Concerning pigs at Astoria, Gabriele Franchere (between
1811-1814), said that the pigs had multiplied like crazy, to the
degree where they were causing much damage to the roads. He had a
great interest in food -- describing turnips and potatoes, wild
berries and roots, fish of all kinds, pine moss, sea turtles,
penguins (apparently not very tasty), even the type of tea and wine
they were given aboard ship. However, he made no mention of seals,
until he related an incident in which some poor seal hunters were
stranded on an island by an unscrupulous ship captain. Which
circumstance makes me entertain the idea that "Siwash Cosho"
entered the Chinook Jargon with the first telling of that very
tale. So perhaps the language of the fellow who was stranded, who
was not chinook, has some bearing there. But we'll never know for
sure.

3) Alexander Ross, in 1811, said he amused himself shooting seals
at the falls on the Columbia. That sounds very high upriver.

Oops, gotta go. Deadline!

-- Leanne (http://timetemple.com)