<kuc>: Boas "Chinook Indian Language" question

hzenk at PDX.EDU hzenk at PDX.EDU
Thu Sep 23 20:47:38 UTC 2004

I think you make a good point, Maria.  Historians have tended not to recognize
how far and wide Native people could and did travel and trade intertribally,
independently of their interactions with the first White seafaring traders.

Saying that, I think that the phonetic distortions in much of the Nuuchahnulth
part of Chinuk Wawa (e.g. "kakshat", supposed to be from N qaXSitL, "haykwa"
for N Hiixwa, etc. etc.) do point to a trade language developed between
Nuuchahnulths and (largely) English-speaking seafarers, which other tribes then
adopted for the same purpose--that is, to carry on trade with the White
seafarers.  This was apparently incorporated into Chinuk Wawa with the first
seafarer visits to the lower Columbia.  On the other hand, Indian varieties of
Chinuk Wawa show no such phonetic distortions in the Chinookan part of Chinuk
Wawa, suggesting that English speakers did not shape that part of CW.  I think
that a good argument can be made for some kind of simplified Chinookan in pre-
contact currency on the lower Columbia.  How widely spread it was beyond the
Columbia, I don't know.  Possibly, many tribes used simplified varieties of
their respective languages to facilitate indigenous trade.

That "kush" does make one think:  evidence of early seafarers' klush, klosh for
the word heard as Lush, tLosh, etc. in Indian CW pronunciations?  Also note
that Boas records Lower Chinook tL-u-sh 'it is'.  Also note that the cluster
k+l__ may have been resisted by Lower Chinook speakers:  at least, Boas almost
always writes the clusters k/q/k'/q'/g + l__ with an intervening "schwa" in
place of +.  Any Chinookanists care to comment?  Henry