Voiceless lateral fricative

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Tue Apr 19 07:15:03 UTC 2005

lhaXawya, Dave pi kanawi hlaksta,

I have indeed the same impression, that "barred-L" or "voiceless lateral fricative" is not quite the same sound in different languages. A proof is also the recent message of Mr. Jordan Fink: the Tibetan "lh", usually described as a "voiceless lateral fricative", sounds nothing like the "barred-L" of Lushootseed (Salishan), also described as a "voiceless lateral fricative". I also have read in a message in the Archieves of this List that the Welsh "ll" is also not quite the same as PNW barred-L.

Ferenc (= Francisc = Franz)

Dave Robertson <ddr11 at UVIC.CA> wrote:
Hi, Ferenc pi kanawi-lhaksta,

I've always found it interesting that this "voiceless lateral fricative" sound has historically been written in varying ways, according to the languages being represented and the languages of those trying to write it.

Mostly in Chinook Jargon and other Pacific Northwest languages, the old documents use "tl" or "kl", sometimes "lth" or "xl" or other odd combinations.

In the Southeast USA, those who recorded Mobilian Jargon often wrote "shl" or "sl" for the same sound.  What's fascinating is that you never see that way of writing it in the Northwest.

And from Southeast Alaska, for Chinook Jargon and for Tlingit I've seen "s" for this sound.  This is another regionally restricted way of writing it.

These differences, and the discussion you've been having, may lend support to a claim made on this list a few years ago that the voiceless lateral fricative is pronounced rather differently from language to language.

--Dave R.

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.