Sahaptin words in CW

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Wed Aug 3 14:07:50 UTC 2005

hzenk at pdx.edu wrote:>
> Regarding the word for "nine", it's source in CW is definitely Chinookan,
> since it is found in all Chinookan languages: Chinook kwaí-itst, Cathlamet
> kwis, Wishram kwis (Curtis); Lower Chinook kui’tst (J. Deaton), Upper Chinook
> kweist (Tolmie & Dawson). But the word is found also both in NV Sahaptin:
> Walla Walla & Umatilla k’uyc (J. Deaton), and in Nez Perce: k’uyc (H. Aoki),
> kú-its (Curtis), kuis (Palmer). Thus it is a common Chinookan and Sahaptin
> word (again the questions: chance ressemblance? "Penutian" cognagtes?
> borrowing from Chinookan to Sahaptin or vice versa?).

The Sahaptian (=Sahaptin/Nez Perce) appears to be a better match to our CW for
'9', which is k'wayts. Boas gives Lower Chinook kwitst (no ejective), Dyk
Wishram kwis (no ejective). I looked in Jacobs's Northern Sahaptin grammar,
and the word for '9' there is completely different: ts'mEst, ts'mEs.

--Henry

After posting the message, I realized that I made a mistake: I wrote "Sahaptin" everywhere where I had to write "Sahaptian".

Regarding N Sahaptin, I also found in Curtis (http://curtis.library.northwestern.edu/viewPage.cgishowp=1&size=2&id=nai.07.book.00000259&volume=7) the word tsE-mÉskt for "9" in Yakima and Klickitat.

The word k'úyc "9" in Sahaptin (identical to that in Nez Percé) I found on the website "Numbers from 1 to 10 in Over 5000 Languages" (http://www.zompist.com/came.htm), where the author indicates as source (http://www.zompist.com/sources.htm): Jarel Deaton. R, L., mentioning that "Sahaptin" means "Eth[nologue] WAA Walla Walla or UMA Umatilla".

BTW: I always knew that the Sahaptian family includes only two languages: Nez Perce and Sahaptin (aka N Sahaptin or NW Sahaptin). But, according to Ethnologue, this family (which they call "Sahaptin") includes no less than 5 (five) languages: Nez Perce, Tenino, Umatilla, Walla Walla, and Yakima! (in fact, in many other cases Ethnologue shows the tendency to classify dialects or local varieties of the same language as different languages).

Francisc

http://mail.yahoo.com