Hi-U; another French question

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Sat Aug 6 21:37:12 UTC 2005

In Ephrata, Washington, I noticed a Hi-U Motel the other day.  Kind of a
tossup whether that's related to Chinuk Wawa, is based on the informal
English "hiya", or both or neither.

I've got another question for you fluent French speakers:  In trying to
decipher some shorthand inscriptions which I think include French, I find a
recurring phrase used by a priest in reference to certain of his
parishioners.  It looks to be "[name of person] s'est pas tres bien formule
(e)".  Could that be good French?  I'm guessing this note refers to
people's performance when quizzed on the catechism.

--Dave R