k'Gubns

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Wed Dec 28 01:23:42 UTC 2005

I'm idly curious about Theodore Winthrop's horse.  One of them, that is;
actually its name.

Toward the beginning of "Canoe and Saddle" he tells of naming this
animal "Gubbins"--which I take to be a reference to the marauding gang /
family in England a few centuries ago.

But later, like on pages 181 and 189 of the Binfords & Mort "Nisqually
edition" (no date in the copy I'm reading), he starts referring
to "k'Gubns".  This seems to be in connection with a man named Ferdinand /
Fudnun, whom Winthrop makes fun of for pretending to be white.  (Actually
I haven't read this far ahead in the book, only skimmed, so I may be
missing a detail or two about Ferdinand.)

Is the spelling "k'Gubns" meant to convey a Native person's pronunciation,
and if so, what does the k'G stand for?  A popped / ejective "k", maybe?

I know a number of you have read this book, so you might be able to
provide some insights.

Thanks,

--Dave R