malakwa

Jim Holton jim at ADISOFT-INC.COM
Thu Feb 17 22:20:44 UTC 2005

Henry, Kata mayka pi mesayka,

I have a book called "Conversatinal Cajun French I" written by Randall
P. Whatley and Harry Jannise, published in 1985.  On page 11 under "E.
Insects - Les Insects" it has the following entry:

mosquito - moustique (m), marinqouin (m)

The last version looks pretty close to Gibbs and is probably the same
word.  This also brings up another topic I have some interest in. A
number of years ago, I ran across an "article" on the Missouri French
Dialect that was spoken up until pretty recently in Missouri in area
south of St Louis.  I think the area is referred to as St. Genevieve.  I
think it had a word list. (of course I didn't copy it)  Does anybody on
the list have any references on Missouri French.

Hayash Masi. Kl., Jim