Cayuse <=> "horses" in Spanish?

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Sat Jan 29 05:22:30 UTC 2005

Alan Hartley posted this back in September...Sorry to be dense, but does
this mean our best guess is that the name "Cayuse" comes ultimately from
the Spanish word "caballos"="horses", via some NAm aboriginal languages?
(Cf. William Bright's "Animals of Acculturation in the California Indian
Languages", UC Press, Berkeley, 1960.  That book shows the same loanword
from Spanish in such languages as: Pomo, Yuki, Patwin, Maidu,
Miwok...interestingly not in some of the California languages spoken closes
to Cayuse, e.g. Yurok, Shasta, Klamath.  The Yurok form incidentally
is "mulah", perhaps a loan from Spanish for "mule" but perhaps [less
likely] comparable with CJ /mulak/ 'elk'.)  --  Dave R.