Cayuse <=> "horses" in Spanish?

Alan H. Hartley ahartley at D.UMN.EDU
Sat Jan 29 18:02:33 UTC 2005

There's a lot to chew on in Leanne and Sally's postings. With Sally's
Salishan comments in mind (and not recalling whether I've already posted
them), here are some examples of the ethnonym in Salishan dress:

1827 S. BLACK ms. in  Hudson’s Bay Record Soc. Publ. X (1952) 223

The Nez Perces Iskayouses & Walla Walla mix togeather often.
[Black also uses the form "Cayouse."]

1843 T. FARNHAM Travels (1906) 96 [1843 pagin. 125]

About three o’clock we came into the camp of a middle-aged Skyuse Indian.

1899 in F. W. HODGE Hdbk. Amer. Indians I. (1907) 225/1 [converts to N.
WYETH Corresp. & Jrnls. 142]

Skiuses

Alan