Nesmith, J.W. on a sermon at Willamette Falls, Oregon

hzenk at PDX.EDU hzenk at PDX.EDU
Mon Jan 31 03:18:57 UTC 2005

Interesting!  The name "Yalocus" looks like it could be for yelqas, who signed
the 1855 Dayton Treaty for the main (=Northern) band of Molalas.  Northern
Molalas were intermarried with Willamette Falls Chinookans and frequented
Oregon City, so the identification is not necessarily a stretch.  In fact,
yelqas may have had a Willamette Falls wife, though I'd need to check on that.
I am tempted to wonder if "Wansanius" is a typist's copying error for some
approximation to the name waC'inu (C' for ejective "ch"), who signed the same
treaty as a chief of the Clackamas Chinookans (who had traditional wintering
sites at Gladstone, a short distance downriver from Willamette Falls).  That
one may be more of a stretch:  need to check if there are other likely names
recorded.

And as for:

The poverty of the language did not admit of any elaborated
> presentation of abstract ideas or principles

such judgments sorely underestimate the ability of human beings to be creative
even with limited resources.  The Catholic missionary literature in Chinuk Wawa
is a great case in point.  Henry