Old Man House

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Mon May 2 21:57:02 UTC 2005

Reading Sister Mary Louise's 1932 thesis about Father Eugene Chirouse (the
elder), I couldn't help thinking that the name of the "Old Man House
Reservation" looked like Chinuk Wawa.  Here's something about it that I
found on the internet.

"P-17 Old Man House (Chief Seattle's longhouse): On Division. A State
Heritage Site, it is surrounded by a day-use only waterfront park. Display
boards depict the largest Native American longhouse ever built, which once
stood here. The name Old Man is an anglicized version of Oleman, Chinook
jargon for "strong man." "

Found at http://www.visitkitsap.com/includes/popups/member_details.asp?
ID=379&CityID=5&ThingID=49

The Old Man House site is the object of efforts by the present-day
Suquamish (Port Gamble) Tribe to regain ownership of that property.

--Dave R.