Chinook fire? Another "Chinook" expression

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Tue May 3 23:37:31 UTC 2005

Well, I found an English version of the same account.  On page 127(?) it
refers to "China lanterns" and "Bengal fire torches".  The latter I guess
correspond to the Chinuk Wawa "Chinuk paia".

Google turns up references to the phrase "Bengal fire".  There are also
fireworks companies selling an item by this name.  This was also the title
of a lurid 1937 crime novel, and you can buy fishing lures so named.

At any rate the reference seems to be to fireworks.  How interesting if
the Chinuk Wawa word for this really is "Chinook fire", but I still wonder
if Le Jeune meant to be saying "Chinese fire".

?

--Dave R.