"More" on "tillicum"

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Fri May 6 06:28:02 UTC 2005

The December 1901 issue of Kamloops Wawa contains, in one of the Chinuk
Wawa pages (p.97), two interesting things I'd like to share.

One is that the English word "more" is borrowed and used in the sense of
traveling farther: "8 mail mor" = "eight miles farther".  To express "more"
in the sense of a greater quantity, the usual "wiht" (weght) is used.

The other is that the Jargon word that most people know as "tillicum" is
clearly used, just as I've been teaching my students, to mean primarily
Indians.  "...tanas ayu tilikom chako kopa Kolwatir, iht iht tkop man, pi
tanas ayu sitkom tilikom" = "a few people came to Coldwater (BC), several
white men and a few halfbreeds" (to translate the latter as one would've at
the time).

--Dave R