Old Man House

Tina Wynecoop wynecoop at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat May 7 13:49:09 UTC 2005

Speaking of the Suquamish Tribe, I recommend this book - a fine one:

Daughter of Suqua
by Diane Johnston Hamm, Paul Micich (Illustrator)

Reading level: Ages 9-12
Edition: Hardcover

Editorial Reviews

>From School Library Journal
Grade 4-5?It is 1905, and Ida, 10, lives with her parents and grandmother
among their people, the Suquamish, on an island [ actually, Suquamish is on
the Kitsap Penninsula just west of Seattle in the Puget Sound area - Tina]
off the coast of Washington. The story revolves around their struggle to
maintain their identity; first as a family, and second as a tribe when the
U.S. government resettles them on allotted lands and enrolls their children
in "American" schools. Readers will identify with Ida's need to be with her
friends and family and her despair over being sent away to a white boarding
school. They will be enriched by her tenacity and the cultural values she
exhibits, like cooperation and mutual responsibility. Like Regina in Sally
Keehn's I Am Regina (Philomel, 1991) and Walnut in Michael Dorris's Sees
Behind Trees (Hyperion, 1996), Ida is a fully realized character whom
readers will care about. Hamm has done her homework, and her story is rich
in Suquamish history and lore. It includes dialect that is used successfully
because it is used sparingly. However, children won't read the book for its
historical value, but because they will want to know what is going to happen
to Ida. A fast-moving story with an admirable heroine.?Shauna Siebers,
Central Rappahannock Regional Library, Fredericksburg, VA
Copyright 1997 Reed Business Information, Inc.

Card catalog description
In the early 1900s as change comes to the village on Puget Sound where she
lives, ten-year-old Ida Bowen worries about what is ahead for herself, her
parents, beloved Little Grandma, and other members of the Suquamish people.

When in the fresh mornings I go into my garden before anyone is awake, I go
for the time being into perfect happiness.     Celia Thaxter

From: peter webster <peterweb at BENDNET.COM>
To: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Old Man House
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 21:48:47 -0700

The Suquamish just got ownership a short while back, over the objections
of some near-by (white) property owners who feared it would lower their
property values...