CW at Siletz

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Mon May 9 12:19:17 UTC 2005

Klahawya siks !

Two question regarding Chinuk Wawa at Siletz:

1. Is CW still spoken at Siletz? I know from the website of the
Confederated Tribes of Siletz that they have a Powwow there called "Nesika
Illahee"...

2. I understood that the short proclitic pronouns (na-, ma- , ya- etc.) are
a characteristic trait of Grand Ronde CW. But I notice that such forms are
used sometimes also by Coquille Thompson, the Upper Coqille Athabaskan from
Siletz that provided a text ("The origin of death") to Jacobs, for instance:
ya-mak-iXbu uk-ili'i "he had the ground covered over"
ya-Ladwa-nanitsh "he went to see him"
kagwa ya-wawa kaba-Coyote-Jim "That is how he spoke to Coyote Jim"
lili Coyote-Jim ya-k'ilEba-wawa "after a while Coyote Jim replied"
kagwa Coyote-Jim ya-wawa kaba-uk-men "That is the way Coyote Jim spoke to
the man"
wel ya-Ladwa kaba... "Now then he went yonder..."
(in the whole text, the short form appears only for the 3rd person,
singular: ya-)
This means that the use of short proclitic pronouns is (or was) not limited
to Grand Ronde. Probably it was characteristic for the Lower Columbia CW,
or for Oregon CW ? But it was used to a larger extent at Grand Ronde (isn't
it?)

Francisc