sad news about a CW linguist

Sally Thomason thomason at UMICH.EDU
Tue May 10 11:39:11 UTC 2005

Dear CW colleagues,

   See the message below from Donna Gerdts, about Wayne
Suttles' death yesterday.  As some of you know (I think
I mentioned his materials in a message a couple of weeks
ago), Suttles made (or collected, but I think he made
them himself) wonderful tape recordings of a number of
fluent Chinook Jargon speakers, several decades ago.  He
always planned to analyze and publish them, I think, but
as far as I know he never did so.

   -- Sally Thomason

- ------- Forwarded Message

Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 19:01:33 -0700
From: Donna Gerdts <gerdts at sfu.ca>
Subject: sad news
To: Recipient List Suppressed: ;

Dear colleagues,

The sad news has come that Wayne Suttles died this morning. He had
been struggling with pancreatic cancer since last summer. He had just
turned 87 on April 24th.

Condolences should go to his wife of sixty-four years:

Shirley Suttles
4785 Cattle Point Rd.
San Juan Island, WA  98250

Other surviving relatives are 7 children, 9 grandchildren, a
greatgrandchild (born last month), plus a foster duaghter with
children and grandchildren.

- - --Donna

- ------- End of Forwarded Message