print.google.com

Leanne Riding riding at TIMETEMPLE.COM
Fri May 13 21:41:19 UTC 2005

I thought about reprinting the books, too - and went so far as to
make a mockup of one book. That was fairly easy, since I've worked
a few years in the publishing industry. I also did quite a bit of
digitization too, for my chinook word lookup tool. I think I
digitized about 5-6 books, although I only found time to put a few
of those into my search tool. Digitizing was much more time
consuming than making the mockup. That was because the character
recognition software I was using had a very hard time with the
letters, which were often incompletely printed, and could not guess
the unfamiliar chinook jargon words. Granted,
  I was trying to get 100% accurate plain text, which might not be
necessary in a scanned page image with a plain text index. However
the degree of inaccuracy was so high that the plain text indexes of
each book would probably have to be proofread at least a little.

The current trend seems to be a public expectation to be able to
locate any information on the web using Google. It now seems, if
Google can't find you,
  you do not exist! Google seems pretty solid. I don't think it will
go anywhere or change its practices soon, although the service will
someday change as the company's needs change. It is not really a
new idea to create a comprehensive access point to digitized
books - other organization have tried this. Even for Google the
project will be a huge undertaking. There is still a lot of room
for other digitization projects. But for us, it is all good, isn't
it!

On Wednesday, January 26, 2005, at 10:16 , David Robertson wrote:

> Naika tlus siks,
>
> The list has been quiet.  I've gotten plenty of attempted postings from
> spammers, though!
>
> People who wish they could find more information about Chinook
> Jargon might
> enjoy taking a look at http://print.google.com.  There you can
> read about
> Google's enormous project of digitizing tens of thousands of books
> (including the entire U. of Michigan library in Ann Arbor).  Then there
> should be much more information on the internet about a wide range of
> scholarly subjects.
>
> Publishers of books on Chinook Jargon can participate by
> contacting Google
> and arranging for the contents of their books to be incorporated in the
> search engine.
>
> I've mulled over the idea of reprinting all the old books on
> Chinook, since
> their copyrights expired long ago--but I'd be at least as excited
> about a
> project to digitize all of those sources and make their complete
> contents
> available via a web search.
>
> Note that Google also has pilot projects operating to incorporate
> information from academic sources (Google Scholar) and from the closed-
> caption subtitles of TV shows and movies (Google Video).
> Interesting ideas.
>
> --Dave R.
>
> To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'.  To respond
> privately to the sender of a message, click 'REPLY'.  Hayu masi!

Leanne Sumiko Riding
Address: 7374 Main St., Vancouver, BC, V5X3J5
Email: leanne at timetemple.com
Web: http://timetemple.com
Phone: 604.875.0488

Have a project? I welcome your inquiries!