Chinook Jargon word for Donkey?

Leanne Riding riding at TIMETEMPLE.COM
Fri May 13 21:42:45 UTC 2005

A question at the Chinook-Wawa group on Yahoo ended up puzzling me
too -- the question was:

"What is the Chinook Jargon word for Donkey?"

Considering there are words for Mule (ie. "le mel" or "moola"), why
not Donkey?
  Maybe "burro" or "l'ane"? For the question, "What is the Chinook
the Chinook Jargon word for Donkey?" -- Should the correct answer
for the question be,
  "Donkey"?

Did the word Donkey come from l'ane cay? "Mule colt / hoofed animal
which is a mule/looks like a mule?"

:) I know, a stretch. The Cayuse thread has been putting thoughts
in my head.
   However, I couldn't come up with anything better because the word
Donkey seems itself a little mysterious. Here is what Wikipedia had
to say about the etymology of the word Donkey:

"The word "donkey" is one of the most etymologically obscure in the
English language. Until quite recent times, the standard word was
"ass", which has clear cognates in most other Indo-European
languages; no credible cognate for "donkey" has yet been
identified, though it is possible that it is a diminutive of "dun"
(dull greyish-brown), a typical donkey colour; originally, "donkey"
  was pronounced to rhyme with "monkey". In the late 18th century,
the word "donkey" started to replace "ass", almost certainly to
avoid confusion with the word "arse", which, due to sound changes
that had affected the language,
  had come to be pronounced the same way (/æs/ > /ɑ:s/ and /ɑ:rs/ >
/ɑ:s/). The /ɑ:s/ pronunciation of "ass" was eventually restored to
/æs/ in order to reserve the distinction, but not without the
curious consequence of American English losing the word "arse"
entirely and handing over its meaning to "ass".

(Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey, Saturday, February
5, 2005 16:59:18)

I also found "1785, slang, perhaps from dun "dull grey-brown," the
form perhaps infl. by monkey. Or possibly from a familiar form of
Duncan (cf. dobbin). The older Eng. word was ass."

(Online Etymology Dictionary,
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=donkey&
searchmode=none, Saturday, February 5, 2005 17:21:06)

I wonder the 1785 reference referred to George Washington's donkeys
which he received in 1785? He apparently also had a Chincoteague
pony which he called "Chinky." Need to know more...

- Leanne
- homepage: timetemple.com