Places named Chinook 'way east

Jeffrey Kopp jeffreykopp at ATT.NET
Sat May 14 08:46:36 UTC 2005

At 09:40 AM 05/13/05, Bernard Schulmann wrote:
>I joined a Chinnok dog listserv once by mistake.

Googling is also made more difficult by all those helicopters. (viz. the
CH-47; put a -helicopter parameter in the search.)

Also, the name "Chinook" is applied to things east of the Rockies (a
library in Colorado, shopping center and college in Alberta, etc.),
apparently due to the term "Chinook Winds." So either explorers or local
natives who'd been further West named the wind for "coming from Chinook
Illahie," and my first impression is this usage began in Alberta and spread
south.

I quickly ran a search of the list archive, and to my surprise it doesn't
appear we've gone over the "Winds" origin here yet (haven't we?)

J.