Chilcotins represented as talking CW-English mix in 1895

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Tue May 17 22:09:55 UTC 2005

So why are Chilcotin Indians represented as speaking a mix of Chinuk Wawa
and English in an 1895 issue of Kamloops Wawa?  (To be exact, in the
Sugarcane Tintin, a newspaper within Kamloops Wawa's issue #126 of March
1895.)

They say: "Halo, tanas man, wat is d matir?"  (Hello, young man, what is
the matter?")

And: "Ai don no, nsaika ilo komtaks maika kapho" (I don't know, we don't
know your big brother [=Kamloops Wawa/the shorthand writing]).

That last bit is a clue that these words are being put in their mouths, I
think; the word kapho wasn't in noticeable use in that region.  It's a
dictionary word.

Is this for comic effect (Sugarcane Tintin was heavy on the humor),
portraying Chilcotins as bad speakers of both Chinuk Wawa & English?

Your ideas?

--Dave R.