Klale Kanaka Hyash Kwolan

Yakima Belle yakimabelle at YAHOO.COM
Fri May 20 16:19:20 UTC 2005

<yakimabelle at y...> wrote:
> Mokst tillikum klaska klatawa kopa klush nannich
baboons. Klaska tiki
> ikta kopa lulu klaska musem illahee iktas.
>
> (Two men went to study baboons. They wanted someone
to carry their
> camp things.)
>
> Klaska chaku klale Kanaka tenas hiyu haws pi nanich
tenas hyash
> kwolan. Klaska munk temtem klaska huy-huy kopa ukuk
hyash kwolan.
> Klaska wawa "ukuk hyaash kwolan - na wwik yaka kuli
klak nesika?

> They come to a small African village and see a small
donkey. They
> decide to bargain for that donkey. They ask "this
donkey - he won't
> run away from us?"
>
> Klale Kanaka man yaka chaku hwa kehwa ukuk nah pi
yaka wawa "Wik. Ukuk
> hyash kwolan yaka halo kuli kopa klatawa kah."
>
> The African man was surprised by this question and
he said "no, this
> donkey doesn't run to escape.
>
> Ukuk tillikums klaska iskem ukuk hyash kwolan pi
munk mitlite yaka
> iktas kopa hyash kwolan pe klatawa klak. Wik laly
klaska ko ka ukuk
> baboons mitlite. Klaska mash mash klaska iktas kopa
hyash kwolan.
> Klaska munk sil haws. Klaska munk piah. Klaska munk
muckamuck. Alta
> Klaska  chee kemteks halo hyash kwolan.
>
> The men take the donkey and put their stuff on and
go off. Soon they
> come to where the baboons live. They unload the
donkey. They pitch the
> tent. They make a fire. They fix their food. Then
they discover they
> realize the donkey is gone.
>
> Ana! Ka hyash kwolan? Wik laly yaka yakwa!
>
> Arrgh! Where is the donkey? He was just here!
>
> Alta, klaska klush nannich konaway ka. Klaska
nannich saghalie tenas
> la monte, pi klaska nannich kikeweli kopa pi tenas
la monte. Halo
> hyash kwolan; kanawi tenas mowitch klaska nannich
kopet ikt baboons.

> Now, they look everywhere. They look up the hill,
and they look down
> in the valley. No donkey; all the animnals they see
are baboons.

> Alta chaku hyash-hyash myeena klaska kwolan. Ukuk
hyash kwolan yaka
> myeena - ON-KEE! ON-KEE! Yaka ipssot kopa hyash
tamolitsh-stick pi
> muckamuck. Yaka kemteks wik tillikums klap yaka hyas
heehee.

> Now a loud song comes to their ears. The donkey is
singing - Hee-haw!
> Hee-haw! He was hiding in a large bush and was
eating. He thinks the
> people not finding him is very funny.
>
> Alta, kwanisem klaska munk kilipai ukuk hyash
kwolan. Yaka ipsoot kopa
> tamolitsh-stick, yaka ipsoot kunamoxt ston, yaka
ipsoot kopa ka
> illahee kikweli lah. Yaka kwasnisem ipsoot siah klak
munk. Yaka tiki
> keltes mitlayt pi muckamuck.
>
> Now they always have to bring back tha donkey. He
hides in bushes, he
> hihides between rocks, he hides in folds of the
earth. He always hides
> far away from work. He wants to do nothing except
eat.

> Lili, tillikums klaska ko ubut. Klaska kilipai kopa
klale Kanaka
> tenash hiyu haws pi kilipai hyash kwolan. Klaska
solleks. Klaska
> wawawa kopa klale Kanaka man "Mika kumtux
kleminawhit. Mika wawa wik
> ukuk hyash kwolan yaka kuli klak nesika."
>
> Finally, the people are done. They return to the
village and give the
> donkey back. They are angry. They say to the African
man "You are a
> liar. You said this donkey wouldn't run away from
us."

> Klale Kanaka man, yaka munk heehee pi wawa "Halo
nika kleminawhit.
> Halo hyash kwolan kuli klak; yaka keltes kapswala
klatawa. Yaka hayash
> lysi pi kuli hyash munk kopa yaka."
>
> The African man, he laughed and said "I never lie.
That donkey never
> runs away. He only sneaks off. He is too lazy to to
lazy and running
> is too much work for him.

I swear I seen a twelve-foot-high hump-shouldered elk
with no antlers and swan neck - 19th C. miner, quoted
in "Lonesome Dromedary", The Big Book of the Weird Wild
West, Paradox Press, 1998.