Chilcotins represented as talking CW-English mix in 1895

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Tue May 31 18:55:01 UTC 2005

Here is one more anecdote that represents a foolish person as talking a
mix of English and Chinuk Wawa.  It's from Kamloops Wawa #154 (July 1897),
pages [99]-100.

'Another curious item is sometimes related by the pioneers of British
Columbia relating to the "Heroic Times."  Sometime about 1858, when the
Indians began first to see the articles of food imported by the first
traders in the country, an Indian came to the trading post, decided upon
procuring for himself a sack of "Sapplel" or flour.  He first put his hand
on a sack of sugar, and asked "How much this Sapplel?"  "Twenty Dollars"
was the answer.  Then, pointing to a fifty pound sack of flour: "And how
much ookook Saplel?"  "Twelve dollars."  At last he took attention to a
sack of salt, and he came with the question: "And how much this
Sapplel?"  "Six Dollars."  "I will take this;" and on the remark of the
trader that salt was not a very good article to be used as "sapplel" he
said: "May be not good for white men, but for a Savage, ayas tloos, very
good."  So he took the sack of salt and went his way.  He was no sooner at
home when he lit a fire and prepared to make his pottage.  He put a few
handfuls of salt in his tin kettle, and began to make it boil.  After some
time he tasted his new fashion food; it did not taste very good.  "May be
it is not cooked enough," said he, and he continued to make fire and to
boil his soup, tasting it every now and then, until the moment when all
the water having been evaporated, the salt remained dry at the bottom of
his kettle.'

--Dave R