'mula' also = 'machine' #2

Maria Pascua mcrcmaria at CENTURYTEL.NET
Sun Apr 9 22:24:26 UTC 2006

In Makah (southern most Nootkan culture group and the only group located in
Washington state), we say  bula for 'machine'.  In our pronunciation; [b]'s
often replace [m]'s in C.J. words so we say 'bula' instead of 'mula'.
Maria

-----Original Message-----
From: The Chinook List [mailto:CHINOOK at listserv.linguistlist.org]On Behalf
Of Henry Kammler
Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2006 9:48 AM
To: CHINOOK at listserv.linguistlist.org
Subject: Re: 'mula' also = 'machine' #2

I don't think CW /ma?in/ made it into Nuuchahnulth. The kinds of
typical mills you find in the area are in NCN usually referred to by
*what* the make, adding the suffix for "make" or "device for". Like
/piipaqiil~/ "pulp mill" (paper+make)
/chin'yakWiil~/ "shingle mill" (shingle+make)
[note: also /chin'yak/ is a loanword, it's interesting that English
/-ngl-/ is reflected by /-n'y-/ with a glottalized Y, so they heard
something like /?ing?l/]

Henry K. again

To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'.  To respond privately to
the sender of a message, click 'REPLY'.  Hayu masi!