Pasayuks inapu

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Mon Aug 14 08:10:42 UTC 2006

Hi Dave,

  As I wrote in my previous message, the shorthand word next to "un pou" looks to be[inpu] (I can not distinguish it very clearly), and Demers has "inpu" for "louse" (pages 15 and 19). It is clear that there should be some connection...
  In any case, "un pou" would be very untipical as a French loanword to the Wawa, since the words of French origin come usually with the definite article (this would be, as far as I know, the only example of French loan with the indefinite article, making thus the French etymology for "inpu" unplausible aslo from this point of view)

  Francisc

David Robertson <ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU> wrote:
  Thanks, Francisc.

I wonder, did Le Jeune invent this French etymology? Or could he have
picked it up from St. Onge? (They wrote to each other frequently, and
collaborated on a book in shorthand Jargon.) St. Onge edited the Jargon
publication of Demers & Blanchet. Of course a third possibility is that D
& B came up with the "un pou" idea themselves.

This Jargon word wasn't used in the Kamloops area. His spelling of it in
the "write it like it sounds" shorthand surely is based on someone else's
written form. Sounds like Demers?

Barbara Harris wrote a good paper about potential French etymologies of
Jargon words. "Handsaw or Harlot?" was the title. This "un pou" is one
of numerous examples that could be added to it after a perusal of Le
Jeune's works. Le Jeune was fond of imagining such connections, claiming
that "Lillooet" comes from "l'alouette" and that he'd once proved to a
Jewish gentleman that a lot of Shuswap Salish words are related to
Hebrew.

--Dave R

To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'. To respond privately to the sender of a message, click 'REPLY'. Hayu masi!