Derivation of "pasiooks"?

Ross Clark r.clark at AUCKLAND.AC.NZ
Sun Aug 20 23:24:59 UTC 2006

>From Lewis & Clark Journals (Moulton, ed.) vol.5

p.434, 19/3/06 they are very fond of the dress of the whites which they wear in a similar manner when they can obtain them, except the shoe which I have never seen woorn by any of them. they [Chinooks] call us pâh-shish'-e-ooks, or cloth men. [also 438]

Moulton's footnote:

p.440 n.4: This is a Clatsop term [it]pašišxayukš, "blanket people".

Ross Clark