[fwd] lahal in Tlingit

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Mon Aug 21 22:00:08 UTC 2006

[fwd'ed from Roby Littlefield's Tlingit language and culture list -- Dave R]

Té, x'úx', kaashaxáshaa

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Crippen"

Do you know if there is a Tlingit word for rock paper scissors? There
was a game similar to it played by natives along the NW coast
according to some of my sources. In Chinook Jargon it was called
"itlokum".

Also I discovered that the "lahal" game played on the NW coast in
olden times was imported by the Tlingit and known to them as "nahéin".
It shows up in the Interior Tlingit dictionary.

James