Problem Ideas (for me)

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Wed Aug 30 17:46:44 UTC 2006

Beware, when I wrote "tiki wawa" for "it means", I was improvising.  The
more I've learned of Jargon, the more I think that's a really awkward way
of expressing the idea.  In published Jargon usage, Father Le Jeune often
defined new/unusual/foreign words with "kakwa pus wawa" (literally "as if
to say").  A similar idea is expressed by the Jargon letter writers by
using "kata" (literally "how [it is]".

Geeky/useful tip: both of these phrasings form subordinate clauses...but
only "kata" is useful for embedded questions like "tell me WHAT IT
MEANS".  See below.

"Mamuk nanich" is definitely used in real Jargon all over the place.

The Jargon letter writers have "trai pus" for "try to [do]".

An invented example using all three ideas above is "Naika trai pus mamuk
nanich kopa maika kata ukuk."  ("I'm trying to show you what it means.")
Note--I suspect at Grand Ronde, you could or should leave out "kopa".

--Dave R

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 08:47:25 -0700, Francisc Czobor <fericzobor at YAHOO.COM>
wrote:

>But the last two expression proposed by you are actually used in Chinook
Wawa!
>  "mamook nanitsh" = "to show" appears in Gibbs' and Shaw's and other
dictionaries;
>  "tiki wawa" was used for "it means" on this list, for instance by Dave
Robertson.