Sarah L Byrd & CJ 1939

Dave Robertson ddr11 at UVIC.CA
Sat Dec 23 08:06:33 UTC 2006

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/ammemhome.html

"..........begin to come down from Portland, an' they would have horse
races. My! I c'n remember seein' them people when they first got there.
The roads wuz so dusty, an' their faces wuz jest like a siwash. Thet ol'
hotel stood there a long time. It wuzn't so many years ago it burned down.

I us'd to talk jargon like a siwash. Once down at Gearhart some ladies wuz
visitin' me, an' they c'd talk jargon too. We had lunch, an' we wuzn't to
say anythin' but in jargon. One of 'em, Mrs. Vantine, wuz perty good, so I
sed to her, "Potlatch nika mika seopose" (Give me your hat) First she
looked kinda puzzled, an' then, all at once she smiled an' took off her
hat an' giv it to me.

Well, I'm gettin' a little old -- 96 years my next birthday, but I feel
chipper as a chipmunk, an' I jes like to see anybody call me "Grandma"
thet I ain't "grandma" to."