"kapo" in Quileute, another CJ loan becoming an affix

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Thu Jun 22 16:32:02 UTC 2006

Here is a neat parallel to some Salish languages' borrowing from Jargon.
There (in Lillooet and Thompson), CJ compounds ending in "man" inspired the
formation of a suffix with the meaning "person who habitually does the
action."

Now, for an unrelated language.  I've read in Manuel Andrade's "Quileute"
(Columbia University, 1933) that one of the "nominal postpositives" or what
we often now call lexical suffixes is "kapo" meaning "coat."  Andrade notes
this is a loan from Chinook Jargon.

Lexical suffixes are bound morphemes, that is, they're not words by
themselves.  So it's fascinating to see a CJ word losing its free-standing
status, getting tightly integrated into another language's morphology.  It
may be worth pointing out, some linguists would view the CJ loan "man"
mentioned above as being a lexical suffix too, in Salish.  I recall van
Eijk treating it this way in his grammar of Lillooet.

I assume the intensity of contact between Jargon and Quileute must have
been pretty high, for such a thing to occur.  Just as I know beyond doubt
that the contact between Jargon and Lillooet/Thompson was intense.  (I've
read many letters written in Jargon by native speakers of those languages.
And the "Kamloops Wawa" newspaper was largely directed toward them.)

It would be interesting to know whether English ever, like CJ, inspired the
addition of new morphology to any Northwest languages.  No examples come
right to mind, outside of learners' versions of those languages in recent
times, when those learners had English as their first language.

If it turned out that English had generally been kept more separate from
the people's first languages than Jargon was, I'd suspect this fit a
pattern of Jargon being viewed by all speakers as more Indigenous than non-
Indigenous.

--Dave R