Native employees of sealing ships

Dave Robertson ddr11 at UVIC.CA
Fri Apr 6 22:50:19 UTC 2007

Only slightly off topic, but definitely of interest to some of the list
members: One interesting source of information on Native people's work
aboard sealing ships is "Reminiscences of the West Coast of Vancouver
Island" by Rev. Chas. Moser, OSB (Kakawis, BC, 1926).

Page 112, for example, tells about Nuuchahnulth men's work on Be(h)ring Sea
sealers circa 1884.

There's also information in the book about Mr. Guillod, the Indian agent
who we know recorded a vocabulary of Chinook.  Also sociolinguistic hints,
like people talking broken English, interactions with Chinese immigrants,
and so on.  I also notice at least one Chinook Jargon name, "Tom-Sik
Lepieds" [sic] (Tom Lame), on page 69.

--Dave R