CJ in Pidgin Japanese?

Ross Clark r.clark at AUCKLAND.AC.NZ
Wed Apr 11 05:50:00 UTC 2007

I learned (a little) Japanese before I learned (a little) CJ, so maybe
that's why I assumed that (if it wasn't just an amusing coincidence) it
was the other way around. "Hayaku" is regular Japanese, formed from the
adjective base haya- (quick, rapid) with the adverbial suffix -ku.  So
not likely from CJ. On the other hand, assuming we have a solid
Chinookan etymology for CJ hyak, it's probably not from Japanese.

Ross Clark

-----Original Message-----
From: The Chinook List [mailto:CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG] On
Behalf Of Dave Robertson
Sent: Wednesday, 11 April 2007 8:31 a.m.
To: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: CJ in Pidgin Japanese?

I realize you can't connect everything with everything else.

And Ranald MacDonald probably has nothing to do with this.

But I was just reading Goodman's 1967 article on post-World War 2
Hamamatsu English-Japanese Pidgin.

He mentions a word "hayaku" used as "hurry up".

I had to do a double-take.

You often find words from other contact languages in any given pidgin;
Goodman gives examples of them in this paper.

People using a pidgin presumably make use of their previous experience,
if any, of contact situations.

"Hayaku" couldn't have come from CJ, right?!

--Dave R

To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'.  To respond privately
to the sender of a message, click 'REPLY'.  Hayu masi!