CJ in Pidgin Japanese?

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Wed Apr 11 14:10:35 UTC 2007

Hi, Dave,

  it's only a coincidence. In Japanese, "hayaku" means "quickly, rapidly, fast", being the adverbial form of the adjective "hayai"= "quick, rapid, swift".

  Francisc

Dave Robertson <ddr11 at UVIC.CA> wrote:
  I realize you can't connect everything with everything else.

And Ranald MacDonald probably has nothing to do with this.

But I was just reading Goodman's 1967 article on post-World War 2
Hamamatsu English-Japanese Pidgin.

He mentions a word "hayaku" used as "hurry up".

I had to do a double-take.

You often find words from other contact languages in any given pidgin;
Goodman gives examples of them in this paper.

People using a pidgin presumably make use of their previous experience, if
any, of contact situations.

"Hayaku" couldn't have come from CJ, right?!

--Dave R

To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'. To respond privately to the sender of a message, click 'REPLY'. Hayu masi!

Need Mail bonding?