No subject

J. Barnes saghalie.illahee at YAHOO.COM
Mon Apr 16 16:27:22 UTC 2007

I am doing some research into Chinook Jargon as it was used by Catholic missionaries in the PacNW.  In one source I've seen "Eucharist" (Catholic sacrament) translated as Lekalisti, and in another source I've seen Lakalisti.  Can anyone tell me which one would be more correct?

  I've also seen Lakamelio translated as "Holy Communion," but I think that in Catholic lingo that essentially means the same thing as "Eucharist," so I'm wondering why there's a different word in the jargon.

  Any insight on this would be appreciated.  I'm not a linguist, just a historian!

  JB

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.