Saying dates. Payday?

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Thu Apr 19 09:18:49 UTC 2007

I have a question too:
  How is to be read the word "dic" (day) ?

  Francisc

Dave Robertson <ddr11 at UVIC.CA> wrote:
  From an early 1895 letter written by a St'at'imc comes this snippet,
punctuated by me:

"Kopa mun Shanwari 9 dic 1895, Lilwat, piii + mamuk + son"

A couple quick notes.

This format for expressing dates is common in shorthand CJ. It seems to
mean literally "On the month of January's 9th day, 1895."

And the little plus signs in "piii mamuk son" show that I'm guessing this
is a compound word. I'm posting it here as a question, though. The reason
is that everything I've identified as a compound in shorthand CJ has two
members; of those members, only the lefthand one can have a complex
internal structure.

For example, lefthand members can themselves be compounds, or be
diminutives formed by "tanas-". This phrase here, though, looks to me like
it's got a complex RIGHThand member:

[piii + [mamuk + son]]
[pay + [work + day]]

Anyway, I'm guessing it means "payday".

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

--Dave R.

To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'. To respond privately to the sender of a message, click 'REPLY'. Hayu masi!

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.